Saturday, February 5, 2011

Quilted Rag Letters and Numbers

I found an awesome tutorial on quilted rag letters and decided to make Jenni a few sets to work with letter recognition and spelling. I also made a few sets of numbers to work on number recognition and simple math. They are super soft, colorful, easy to wash, and so much fun. I will soon be making Joshua his own set in manly colors :)

 I printed and cut out the lower case letters template and the numbers template.
Then I traced the letters onto solid color fabric and cut them out.
 I cut out each letter and pinned it to white felt (for the quilting material) and white minky dot fleece fabric (for the back).
 I sorted and sewed the letters by color.
 After sewing the three pieces of fabric together, I trimmed the edges of three layers leaving a little over 1/4 inch around the edges of the letters.
After sewing and trimming around the letters, I tossed each set of colors in the washer and then the dryer, giving the edges a ragged/used look which I liked. I originally hung the letters on a clothes line on the wall, but since have taken them down so they are more accessible to Jenni J.

No comments:

Post a Comment